Stimulate Your Digestive Fire
This traditional spice mix helps stimulate your digestive fire so you can absorb all the wholesome goodness from your food.
1 cup basmati rice
½ cup yellow mung dal
3 teaspoons Kitchari Spice Mix
2 tablespoons ghee
6 cups water
1-2 cups chopped vegetables (optional)
Wash rice and mung dal and soak overnight. Drain soak water.
In a medium saucepan warm the ghee. Add the Kitchari Spice Mix and sauté for one to two minutes. Add rice and mung beans and sauté for another couple of minutes. Then add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the kitchari has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until it is tender (approx. 30-45 minutes). If you are adding vegetables to your kitchari, add the longer cooking vegetables, such as carrots and beets, halfway through the cooking. Add the vegetables that cook faster, such as leafy greens, near the end. Add more water if needed. Typically, kitchari is the consistency of a vegetable stew as opposed to a broth. Garnish with fresh cilantro and add salt to taste (optional).
Makes 4 servings
Banyan Botanicals Mission:
To help people achieve and maintain optimal health and well-being.
We fulfill our mission by:
- Empowering individuals to take personal responsibility for their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health through the wisdom of Ayurveda.
- Producing the highest quality Ayurvedic products using certified organic herbs that are sustainably sourced and fairly traded.
- Educating, inspiring and motivating our customers by creating high quality, educational content.
- Providing excellent customer service and guaranteed satisfaction.
- Kitchari is the Ayurveda staple food, made of rice, dal, and subtle spices. It has the features of being nourishing and building, yet cleansing at the same time!
- Kitchari Spice Mix is an easy and healthy way to support your digestive system during a cleanse or as a new addition to your everyday spices. This spice blend is perfectly blanced to kindle digestion, support a healthy metabolism, and add a delicious flavor profile to your kitchari.
- Good for so much more than just kitchari, try it in a soup, fried with rice, scrambled with eggs, or sprinkled on potatoes or veggies! Use this blend anytime your dish needs a little extra flavor, or in place of masala or curry in your favorite recipes.
- Banyan Botanicals is committed to producing the highest quality Ayurvedic products using USDA certified organic herbs that are sustainably sourced and fairly traded. All our products are 3rd party tested to ensure product quality and safety.
- The Healthy Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied with one of our products, we will gladly accept returns for a full product refund.